The Government-paid Maternity Benefit (GPMB) scheme supports working mothers, including self-employed, who do not qualify for Government-Paid Maternity Leave (GPML). This scheme benefits shorter-term workers who have been in employment for at least 90 days in the 12 months immediately before the birth of their child.
Benefits at a glance
Working mothers who do not qualify for Government-Paid Maternity Leave (GPML) may receive cash benefits.
The Government will pay you as per this chart:
|1st child order
|2nd child order
|3rd and subsequent child order
The amount of GPMB is calculated based on the following formula:
A + B
|x C days
A = [Gross rate of pay] + [Employer CPF contributions over 12 months]
B = Net trade income derived by the person from her business, trade or profession in Singapore over 12 months
C = 56 (for 1st and 2nd childbirth) or 112 days (3rd and higher childbirths).
- The GPMB payout is capped at $10,000 per 4 weeks, up to a total of $40,000 for 16 weeks. It includes commission and employer CPF contributions but excludes bonuses.
Note: The GPMB is equivalent to the Government-Paid portion of the GPML.
Are you eligible?
You must meet the following requirements to qualify for GPMB:
- Your child is born on or has an estimated delivery date (EDD) on or after 1 Jan 2013;
- Your child is a Singapore Citizen;
- You are lawfully married to your child's father*; and
- You have been in employment for a total of at least 90 days in the 12 months immediately before the birth of your child.
- You do not qualify for GPML with your current employer.
Note: If you qualify for the GPML scheme, you cannot apply for the GPMB scheme, except in situation where your contract expired after the delivery.
* Not applicable for mothers whose children are born (or with EDD) on or after 1 Jan 2017.
How to apply
List all start and end dates of your employment contract(s) or trade/business periods in the 12 months preceding the date of birth of your child.
If you do not have a standing payment instruction with us, please log in to GPL Portal
and maintain your profile.
Read our FAQs
and watch the online demo
Proceed to GPL Portal to make an online application. You will need to attach scanned copies of the following documents:
- Your employment contracts in respect of all the employments you were engaged in within the 12 months immediately before your child's birth;
- Your pay slips, or the latest notice of assessment from the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS);
Note: Late claims will be denied.
Please refer to the GPL Portal